How do we provide the best education for every student in Howard County?
I have some ideas to move us in that direction, but I want your ideas as well. As a Board member, I want to create an atmosphere where every parent, student, teacher and member of the Howard County community feels welcome to offer input, and feels confident that their voice has been heard. I want to be a Board member that listens and thoughtfully weaves your suggestions and ideas into my own. I want to be a part of a Board of Education that is respectful toward differences in opinion, and comes together to make decisions that move us in the direction of the best education for every student.
Here are my ideas for moving our community schools in that direction:
- Smaller class sizes. This means reducing overcrowding in our schools. Did you know that by 2020, half of our county high schools will be over 115% capacity?
- More personalized instruction. This is possible through technology, smaller class sizes, and more support for our classroom teachers.
- Attract and retain the best, brightest and most dedicated teachers by providing fair compensation, smaller class sizes, and time for planning, grading and professional development.
- Cultivate an atmosphere of respectful give and take among students, parents, teachers, the school system, and the entire HCPSS community.
- Move toward a later high school start time.
Early voting takes place June 12-19, 2014. The early voting sites are:
RIDGELY'S RUN COMMUNITY CENTER
8400 MISSION RD
JESSUP MD 20794
MILLER BRANCH LIBRARY
9421 FREDERICK RD
ELLICOTT CITY MD 21042
THE BAIN CENTER
5470 RUTH KEETON WAY
COLUMBIA MD 21044